We are under attack yet again by the world for a Secular dictionary has gotten the definition of Discernmentalists wrong:
Discernmentalists typically focus on perceived heresies in Pentecostalism, Charismatism and Ecumenism, among others. They defend their actions by citing Scriptural injunctions regarding the testing of scripture and cautioning against false teachers. Some Pentecostal/charismatic theologians claim that their interpretations of certain passages have been divinely inspired, a claim other Discernmentalists reject. Many outside the movement regard Discernmentalists as judgmental legalists who have absented themselves from teaching the grace that is a key Christian doctrine.
Discernmentalists should not be confused with anti-cult ministries, which work primarily in alerting Christians to the alleged dangers posed by churches that they consider to be cults.
Some areas attacked by discernmentalists include:
– Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ film. Over 13,000 words of rebuttal on one website, on account of Gibson’s Catholicism and other Catholic involvement in production.
– Widely regarded parachurch organisations such as “Promise Keepers”, “Alpha”, “Focus on the Family”, Christian Vegetarian Association, etc.
– The Toronto blessing and similar “hyper-charismatic” movements.
– Many streams of Pentecostal thought.
– Denunciation of many noted Christians based on supercritical evaluation of their activities, including those long dead. In addition, reliance upon sole sources of information does not meet normal standards of historical research. Without having in some way been able to record every single thought, act or word of every noted Christian it is impossible to know whether they should be condemned for something they may have later turned away from.
Most discernment ministry organisations are small but have achieved greater influence through the Internet. In summary, the purveyors of these ministries seem to proclaim themselves as ultimate authorities on all of the subjects which they publish an opinion on. Indeed we are the ultimate authorities on every subject that we publish on as we are expert discerners of all things. Note the Absolute Biblically True definition of a Discernmentalist is: Discernmentalist- An expert discerner who knows all, is able to read minds, re-interpret quotes, and misinterpret quotes biblically. Typically involved in the “special ops” of discernment, and has the right to mislead the public when defending the truth or orthodoxy against the unrighteous (ie almost everyone).
Not only are we the ultimate authorities on every subject that we publish on and expert discerners of all things—we are also Hardcore Discernmentalists as we sometimes must discernmentalize our own beliefs to make sure our Doctrines stay 500% Purer than everyone else’s.