Chris Rosebrough of Pirate Christian Radio fame and of Extreme Theology teaches an essential and Biblical Discernmentalist argument and one of our favorites to employ—if you are wondering what this argument is why it’s none other than reductio ad Hitlerum:
The term reductio ad Hitlerum (Latin: you’re Hitler) is a flawless logical thought process or rational sense of reasoning that proves you are all like Hitler in some way, shape, or form. The reductio ad Hitlerum logic is of the form “Adolf Hitler (or the Nazi party) supported X; therefore X must be evil”. This logic is often effective due to the near-instant condemnation of anything to do with Hitler or the Nazis.
It is important to understand that those policies advocated by Hitler and his party that are generally considered good-natured, are all accepted by themselves, but because Hitler supported them, they are evil. In other words: genocide and Aryan white supremacy (for example) are considered evil because Hitler advocated them, rather than Hitler is considered evil because he advocated them.
The rational nature of reductio ad Hitlerum is best illustrated by identifying X as something that Adolf Hitler or his supporters did promote but which is not considered evil — for example, X = “owning dogs“, X = “painting watercolors”, X = “exterminating the Jews“.
You too can use this argumentative theorem—why just the other day Jan Markell made perfectly good use of the theorem by noting the connection between Islam and Nazism. The logical theorem of reductio ad Hitlerum is best illustrated by this Bible-Based logic equation:
Reductio ad Hitlerum Theorem
In layman’s terms:
You can’t divide by zero.
Shut up, Hitler-boy.
Yes even you are Hitler. Everyone is Hitler or at least everyone has some quotient of Hitlery within them. Reductio ad Hitlerum certainly makes winning any argument easy— for with reductio ad Hitlerum on your side how can you lose any argument as you can prove anything and everything; anyone and everyone you personally disapprove of is really Hitler-certifiably evil. Here are some more examples of this flawless logical theoretical argument in action:
- Hitler supported genocide. John Calvin supported genocide by having “heretics” burnt at the stake therefore Calvin is Hitler.
- Hitler exterminated another race: the Jews. Puritans exterminated another race: Native Americans therefore Puritans are Nazis.
- Hitler was a German anti-Semite. Martin Luther was also a German anti-Semite therefore Luther is Hitler.
- Since Luther has already been exposed as Hitler; Lutherans are Nazis; Chris Rosebrough is a Lutheran therefore he is also Hitler.
- Hitler murdered some of his political opponents. Some Anabaptists murdered their political opponents therefore Baptists are Nazis.
- Hitler had a mustache. Phil Johnson has a mustache therefore he is Hitler.
- Hitler started a Truth War. John MacArthur also started a Truth War therefore he is Hitler.
- Hiter was human. You are human too therefore you are Hitler.